Liberty Enlightening the World
Established: October, 15, 1924
Location: New York Harbor, Liberty Island
Overview: Located on a 12 acre island, the 'Statue of Liberty Enlightening the World' was a gift of friendship from the people of France to the people of the United States and is a universal symbol of freedom and democracy. The Statue of Liberty was dedicated on October 28, 1886, designated as a National Monument in 1924 and restored for her centennial on July 4, 1986.
Designed by Frederic Bartholdi, the statue came to symbolize freedom for immigrants. Nearly 12 million immigrants passed though neighboring Ellis Island. Ellis Island was reopened to the public in 1990 as the country's primary museum devoted entirely to immigration.
The statue is of a female figure standing upright, dressed in a robe and a seven point spiked rays representing a nimbus (halo), holding a stone tablet close to her body in her left hand and a flaming torch high in her right hand. The tablet bears the words "JULY IV MDCCLXXVI" (July 4, 1776), commemorating the date of the United States Declaration of Independence.
The statue is made of a sheeting of pure copper, hung on a framework of with the exception of the flame of the torch, which is coated in gold leaf. It stands atop a rectangular stonework pedestal with a foundation in the shape of an irregular eleven-pointed star. The statue is 151 feet 1 inch (46.5 m) tall, with the pedestal and foundation adding another 154 feet (46.9 m).
Ferry Tickets: www.statuecruises.com
Exhibits/Tours: Ranger-guided tours of the island's grounds are offered free of charge at regularly scheduled times through the day (staff permitting). Daily program listings are posted at the island's Administration/ Information building.
Superintendent: David Luchsinger
Visitor Information: (212) 363-3200
Web Site: www.nps.gov/stli
Last updated: February 26, 2015