Born: September 13, 1739 Paxtang Twp (now in Dauphin County) PA
Died: August 11 or 17, 1817 SC
Buried: Pendleton, SC at the Old Stone Church
Nicknames: “The Fighting Elder” because of deep Presbyterian faith
● “The Border Wizard Owl” (SkyAgunsta) Cherokee Indians called him.
At Ninety Six:
1st Battle- (November 19-22, 1775):
● 36 years old
● Militia Captain
● Fought & attended Peace meeting
2nd Battle (May 22- June 19, 1781):
● 41 years old
● Before Battle: Pickens’ men captured Britishcourier in route to Cruger at Ninety Six. Letters told Cruger to abandon Ninety Six and retreat to the coast. Instead Cruger thought he was supposed to hold at all costs.
● June 8: Arrived from a battle at Augusta, GA.
● June 8-10: Directed soldiers to dig a zigzag trench 250 yards West of the Stockade. Raised an earthen battery & mounted a cannon.
● June 11: Greene sent him to aid Thomas Sumter against the British relief column.
Brother, Joseph Pickens, was killed during the 1781 siege. Pickens’ blue coat identifies him as a Patriot during the Revolution.