Youth Arts in the Parks History Festival
New River Gorge National River and the National Coal Heritage Area present the History Festival at Thurmond
Discover the stories of hidden history through explorations of the park. Join us for a FREE field trip to New River Gorge National River at the historic town of Thurmond! This event is presented every September as part of our Hidden Hiostory Weekend. Check back for dates for 2018.
What? The National Park Service is proud to sponsor a day of artistic, educational activities for middle school students to learn about history while IN it!
Who? 6th – 8th grade students
When? September 2018 - check back for dates
(all participants should bring a sack lunch and a beverage)
Where? Historic Thurmond in New River Gorge National River
• Gain a greater awareness of and appreciation for the diverse history of their region and the resources of the park.
• Engage in art projects in the park to increase their personal understanding of history and artistic mediums.
• Identify historic buildings, objects, and stories through their exploration of the town of Thurmond.
• Practice Leave No Trace Outdoor Ethics during their visit.
Questions? Contact Jodi French-Burr, 304-465-2632 or email@example.com
Activities focus on history, art, and English:
Activities are all based around a theme of discovery of hidden and not so hidden history through an exploration of the town of Thurmond and surrounding areas. Students will rotate through activity stations where they will participate in a variety of hands-on activities including:
• Watercolor painting by the river
• Historical photography
• Design of picture frames and quilt squares.
• Investigation of games and music from long ago.
• Creative sketching of historic objects and more!
Youth Arts in the Parks is open to 100 middle school students. Schools will be selected on a first-to-register basis.
To register: please print the registration form, complete the bottom section and fax it to Jodi French-Burr at 304-465-2632 or email the information below to firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated: October 13, 2017