Plan A Field Trip
All educational groups are welcome to visit New River Gorge National River either as a self-guided trip or as part of the park's on-site, ranger-led educational programs. All programs are free of charge to schools and teachers. The park's education staff offers a wide variety of educational programs and activities at these areas within the park:
Reserving a Program:
On-site, ranger-led education programs are available by reservation only and are based on staff availability.
Follow this link, On-site (In-Park) Education Programs, for a list of available on-site ranger-led programs. A contact number and email address is provided with the program list.
For educational effectiveness, safety and resource protection, we will only work with one class-size group (up to 30 students) at a time. Therefore, if you are bringing more than one class, please be prepared to conduct activities with the other class(es) while one class is with a ranger.
1. You call as soon as possible if you must cancel your ranger-led program
2. You have one teacher or chaperone for every 10 students and be responsible for maintaining group discipline
3. Participants wear good walking or tennis shoes; NOT flip flops or sandals
4. Participants wear clothing appropriate for daily weather conditions
5. You bring along any student medications and be prepared to administer them
6. Participants bring meals or food if planning to dine at the park, as there are no vendors or vending machines in the park
Last updated: February 26, 2015