- December 28 - South Dakota State Historian Doane Robinson suggests a sculpture in the Black Hills.
- March 3 and 5 - Federal Government and South Dakota authorize a carving in the Harney National Forest.
- October 1 - Dedication of Mount Rushmore as a national memorial with a flag ceremony.
- August 10 - First ceremonial drilling takes place at Mount Rushmore after President Coolidge hands Borglum a set of drill bits.
- October 4 - First actual carving begins on Mount Rushmore.
- July 4 - Dedication of the Washington figure.
- August 30 - Dedication of the Jefferson figure, attended by President Franklin D. Roosevelt.
- September 17 - Dedication of the Lincoln figure.
- July 2 - Dedication of the Roosevelt figure.
- March 6 - Gutzon Borglum dies in Chicago.
- October 31 - Final drilling takes place under the direction of Lincoln Borglum.