Travelers should take extra precautions when driving through the desert, especially if you plan to travel on dirt roads:
- Let someone know your trip route, destination, and return date, vehicle make and license plate. Cell phone coverage is sporatic.
- Take a minimum of one gallon of water per person per day (two gallons if you are hiking during hot weather), and drink it freely. Carry extra drinking water for emergencies.
- Carry plenty of food, sunscreen, proper clothing, and a first aid kit with you at all times.
- Wear a hat and sturdy shoes.
- Plan your route and carry a good map
- Use sunscreen
- Carry plenty of water, a gallon or more per person per day in hot weather.
- Bring extra clothing and a flashlight for after sunset.