Permits & Reservations

Camping in Mojave National Preserve is first-come, first-served everywhere except for the Black Canyon Group Campground and the Equestrian Campgrounds, which are open only to groups of 15+ people (or groups of any size that are camping with their horses). Call (760) 252-6100 to make a reservation for the group or equestrian campgrounds.

Basic Permit Information
Permits are required to conduct various activities.
We strongly encourage potential permit applicants to
email us or call (760-221-4740) before sending an application.

Nonrefundable Application Fee Type of Special Park Use
$ 91.00
(includes processing costs)
Group recreation with more than 7 vehicles or horses or ≥ 25 people; and commercial vehicles.
$ 91.00 Commercial still photography with sets, props or models; and
Commercial audio recording where members of the public are generally not allowed; involving equipment that requires mechanical transport; involving equipment that requires an external power source other than a battery pack; or requiring management and oversight of the permitted activity.
$ 128.00 Special Events such as sports races, entertainment, or ceremonies
$ 73.00 Miscellaneous Special Park Uses, including construction.
n/a Educational groups,
Scattering of human ashes from cremation,
Public assemblies, meetings gatherings, demonstrations, parades, and other public expressions of view with more than 25 persons.

Additional costs include administrative processing and monitoring. Proof of insurance and posting of a bond may also be required. Allow at least two weeks for group recreational activities. More complex requests will require more time to review; contact the Special Park Uses Office at e-mail us for more information. You can also call: 760-221-4740.

Filming at Mojave National Preserve

Those interested in filming activities at Mojave National Preserve are encouraged to contact us for more information about filming in the park and to discuss how to minimize potential impacts to visitors and sensitive park resources.

Do I need a permit to film?

Low-impact filming activities do not require a special use permit, but non-low-impact filming activities may require a permit to address their potential impacts on park resources and visitor activities.

Low-Impact Filming

“Low-impact filming’ is defined as outdoor filming activities in areas open to the public, except areas managed as wilderness, involving five people or fewer and equipment that will be carried at all times, except for small tripods used to hold cameras. Those participating in low-impact filming activities do not need a permit and are not required to contact the park in advance. If low-impact filmers have questions about areas where they want to film, they should contact us.

We remind videographers, filmers, producers, directors, news, and other staff associated with filming that rules and regulations that apply to all park visitors, including park hours and closed areas, still apply to filming activities even if a permit is not required. Check with us for more information on closures, sensitive resources, and other safety tips.

Non-Low-Impact Filming

Filming activities that do not meet the description of low-impact filming require at least ten days advance notice to us. The park’s superintendent determines whether the filming activities requires a special use permit for filming. Based on the information provided, a permit may be required to: maintain public health and safety; protect environmental or scenic values; protect natural or cultural resources; allow for equitable allocation or use of facilities; or avoid conflict among visitor use activities.

Examples of requests that may require a permit include, but are not limited to: entering a sensitive resource area; filming in areas that require tickets to enter; or filming in visitor centers, campgrounds, or other visitor areas. The decision to require a permit rests with our superintendent based on potential impacts to park resources or the visitor experience.

Contact us if you are unsure whether a filming activity is considered low-impact or may require a permit.

Filming in Wilderness Areas

Mojave National Preserve manages thousands of acres of designated wilderness. These areas have additional laws and policies to preserve their wilderness character for future generations. Filming activities in wilderness areas must follow all applicable laws and regulations that govern wilderness areas in the park, including prohibitions on structures, installations, motor vehicles, mechanical transport, motorized equipment, motorboats, or landing of aircrafts.

Except for casual filming by visitors, special use permits for filming are required for all filming activities in wilderness areas, no matter the group size or equipment used. View a map of wilderness areas in the Preserve. If you have questions about filming in or near wilderness areas please contact us.

Commercial Still Photography Permits

A commercial still photography permit is required for all commercial still photography that includes the use of sets, props, or models.

Amount Fee/Cost
$ 91.00 Application fee
Varies according to the request Administrative processing costs
Varies according to the request Monitoring costs
Varies according to the request Location fees

Proof of insurance and posting of a bond may be required. Contact Mojave National Preserve, Special Park Uses Office at e-mail us for more information. Allow at least one month for commercial still photography requests.

Commercial Use Authorizations
A commercial use authorization (CUA) authorizes appropriate commercial services to Preserve visitors in limited circumstances. A CUA may be issued only for services that:
  • are determined to be an appropriate use of Mojave National Preserve;
  • will have minimal impact on park resources and values; and
  • are consistent with the purpose for which the Preserve was established, as well as all applicable management plans, park policies, and regulations.
Commercial uses include businesses that provide any or all goods, activities, services, agreements or other things offered to the general public that take place at least in part in the park, uses park resources, and are undertaken for or results in compensation, monetary gain, benefit or profit to an individual, organization, or corporation, whether or not such entity is organized for purposes recognized as non-profit under local, state or Federal law.

Commercial service providers may not require waivers of liability, but may have customers agree to a
Visitor's Acknowledgement of Risk (92.30 KB PDF). All CUA holders must complete and submit annual survey reports.

CUAs have a non-refundable fee of $305. Other costs include a management fee or monitoring for some authorizations. Proof of insurance is required. Instructions are provided in the application form. Posting of a bond might also be required. Contact the Special Park Uses Office at e-mail us for more information.

Cost Recovery
Costs include a non-refundable application fee, possible administrative and monitoring fees, and (for some authorizations) a management fee. All fees and costs must be paid before a permit may be issued.

On January 1, 2023, Mojave National Preserve is changing its CUA management fee structure to what is called market-price management fee. This fee will reflect the value of the business opportunity for commercial activities conducted in the Preserve. It will be a tiered system of fee management based on gross receipts earned from CUA-authorized business here. Below is a table that details how these fees will be assessed:

CUA Annual Gross Receipts CUA Management Fee
<$250,000 3% of gross receipts (minus application fee)
$250,000 to $500,000 4% of gross receipts (minus application fee)
>$500,000 5% of gross receipts (minus application fee)

The table is best explained by example. Suppose a CUA holder earns $750,000 in gross revenue from doing business at Mojave National Preserve. Under the upcoming fee structure, the Preserve will charge the CUA holder 3 percent of their gross receipts, 4 percent for the next $250,000, and 5 percent for the remaining $250,000. This hypothetical CUA holder would then have a total fee of $30,000. The application fee will then be subtracted from $30,000. After subtracting the application fee from $30,000, the difference must be remitted to the Preserve before a new CUA can be issued. The combined charges for the application fee and the market-rate management fee may not exceed the limits noted in the table above. If the calculated market-rate fee is less than the application, then the National Park Service will retain the application fee.

Payment Options
Permit fees and costs may be paid by electronic transaction or check.
To pay by credit card, submit the application. Then email us for a reference number. This number is required for all Mojave National Preserve transactions in
To pay by check, submit payment with the application. Make checks payable to National Park Service.

Forms & Inquiries

Special Use Permit Application
Commercial Vehicle Special Use Permit Application
Still Photography Application
Commercial Use Authorization Application

Visitor's Acknowledgement of Risk (92.30 KB PDF)

For more information, submit your inquiry in an email.

Scientific Research & Collecting Permit
A permit is required to engage in research activities within the park. To apply for a research and collecting permit, visit the NPS Research Permit and Reporting System webpage. The RPRS website has information on necessary procedures and requirements.

Last updated: August 3, 2022

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

2701 Barstow Road
Barstow , CA 92311


(760) 252-6100
For emergencies including vehicle breakdowns, dial 911

Contact Us

Stay Connected