Science & Research

The Mojave Desert is internationally known as a place to conduct scientific research in desert ecosystems. This was recognized in the 1994 California Desert Protection Act that created Mojave National Preserve in part to "retain and enhance opportunities for scientific research in undisturbed ecosystems." On this page you will find links to apply for a research permit, search investigator's reports, read about research NPS is conducting, and review the research needs that park management has identified.

Apply for a Scientific Research Permit

Independent scientific research is encouraged. Click here to start the application process. You will need to submit both a proposal and study plan. If your research involves animals you will need a Scientific Research Permit from the California Department of Fish and Wildlife and approval from your Animal Use Protocol Committee. An Investigator's Annual Report will be required each year your permit is active. Publications and reports must be submitted to the Preserve and will be posted here.

Search Research Products

Email questions to the Science Advisor.

Last updated: May 23, 2016

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

2701 Barstow Road
Barstow, CA 92311


(760) 252-6100

Contact Us