|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Case Griffing, 928-567-3322 x230
National Park Service News Release
For Immediate Release – February 22, 2011
Ed Cummins, Chief Ranger, MOCA/TUZI, 928-567-3322 x227
Arizona Archaeology Awareness and Heritage Month Activities Montezuma Castle and Tuzigoot National Monuments have scheduled activities throughout March to coincide with Arizona Archaeology Awareness and Heritage Month. Activities are tailored for different age groups and will take place as described below:
· March 1, 2011—Archeology Talk. At 1:00 p.m., Archeology Tech Melissa Philibeck will present a talk entitled "Location, Location, Location" at Montezuma Castle. Appropriate for ages six and up. Entry is $5 per person 16 or older; under 15 are free. · March 5, 2011—Kids Day at Montezuma Well. Free Junior Park Ranger activities and demonstrations will be available all day, with a special focus on archeology. Appropriate for all ages. Entry is free.
· March 13, 2011—Archeology Tour. At 1:00 p.m., Park Archeologist Matt Guebard will lead a special tour of Tuzigoot National Monument. Matt will discuss archeological discoveries at the site. Appropriate for ages 12 and up. Entry is free.
· March 19, 2011—Moonlight Tours at Montezuma Well. Park rangers will lead three tours of the Well by the light of the full moon. The park will open at 7:00 p.m. Tours begin at 7:30, 8:00, and 8:30, and will last approximately 90 minutes in duration. To offer the best and safest programs possible, space is limited to 15 people per tour. Entrance is free, but reservations are required! Please call (928) 567-3322 and press 1 to reserve your place. Appropriate for ages 12 and up. Entry is free.
· March 26, 2011—Live Music. Native American flute player and educator Wolfs Robe will perform at Montezuma Castle National Monument from 6:30 p.m. until 7:30 p.m. Gates will be open from 6:00 to 8:00. Appropriate for all ages. Entry is free.
· March 31, 2011— Archeology Talk. At 1:00 p.m., Archeology Tech Melissa Philibeck will present her talk entitled "Location, Location, Location" at Montezuma Well. Appropriate for ages six and up. Entry is free.
There are no entry fees at the Montezuma Well or Tuzigoot locations. Participants should bring water and wear clothing and footwear appropriate for an easy to moderate hike. Visitors may call the Montezuma Castle Visitor Center at (928) 567-3322 ext. 221 for more information.