Special Use Permits

A special park use is a short-term activity that takes place in a park area and typically provides a benefit to an individual, group or organization, or a First Amendment cause, rather than the public at large. The National Park Service may permit a special park use providing the activity will not cause derogation of the park's resources or values, visitor experiences, or the purpose for which the park was established. Primary consideration will be given to potential resource damage and to anticipated disruption of normal public use. Applications should be submitted as soon as possible, but at a minimum of ten days in advance.

Types of activities that sometimes require special use permits:

  • Filming projects that involve more than five people, in wilderness locations, or more extensive filming equipment.

  • Weddings and religious ceremonies

  • Sporting events and many other organized gatherings and events

  • Public assemblies, demonstrations, speechmaking, and distributing printed materials

All areas are open to scattering of human ashes (cremains) without a permit except for developed areas, campgrounds, and park facilities. The excepted areas or other circumstances require a permit or authorization. How do I apply for a permit and when? Please submit your inquiry or application at least 10 days in advance of your activity.

Email the permit coordinator for more information (with “Special Use Permit” in the subject line).

General Conditions Applying to All Permits

  • Access for other park visitors must not be impeded. Events must not impact park resources or impede a positive visitor experience for others.
  • Park entrance fees apply to all vehicles associated with the permitted event or activity.
  • Depending on location and time of day, request may be denied during periods of heavy use (such as Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, or weekends).
  • The permit holder is required to comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws, ordinances, regulations, and codes.
Commercial filming with large camera looking at the Brooks Falls Platform

NPS Photo/R. Wood

Commercial Film Permits

The National Park Service policies allow filming and photography when it is consistent with the protection and public enjoyment of park resources, and when the activities assist in the NPS fulfilling its mission. Filming and still photography activities may not harm natural, cultural, wilderness, or recreational resources and cannot conflict with the public's normal use and enjoyment of the park.

Commercial filming defined as “filming that involves the digital or film recording of a visual image or sound recording by a person, business or other entity for a market audience. This includes recordings such as those used for a documentary, television or feature film, advertisement or similar project.”Katmai National Park & Preserve requires a permit for all commercial filming within the park to ensure protection of the park’s cultural, historic, and natural resources. Permits are not guaranteed, and you should wait for final approval before making plans for travel and accommodations.

Applications should be summitted at least 60 days in advance.

  • Form 10-931 is the short application. This can be used when the production is 1-2 days in duration with cast and crew fewer than 5.
  • Form 10-932 is the longer application. This must be used when the production is more than 2 days in duration, requires multiple locations, and utilizes talent and/or cast/crew/support staff is greater than 5.

Location fees as well as cost of recovery fees will be charged. These fees are dependent on the size of the production and the number of days filming takes place in the park.

Special stipulations for commercial filming at Katmai include (but are not limited to):·

  • Group size cannot exceed 15 people total (12 total for Brooks Camp)
  • Backcountry Camping restrictions are 14 days in any one location and food storage and human waste removal requirements must be met.

Last updated: October 31, 2022

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

PO Box 7
1000 Silver Street, Building 603

King Salmon, AK 99613


907 246-3305

Contact Us