Permits & Reservations

Special use permits are required for any activity that provides a benefit to an individual group or organization rather than the public at large. A permit is also required for an activity not initiated, sponsored, nor conducted by the National Park Service that is disruptive or potentially disruptive to normal park operations.

A $50 non-refundable application fee must be submitted with the application form for the application to be considered. If the permit is approved and issued, additional fees will be charged to recover costs incurred by the National Park Service for administering the permitted activity.

If you are unsure if the activity you have planned requires a special use permit, please e-mail the Special Use Permit Coordinator John Hrubochak at

Attention Photographers: most wedding parties, family reunions, and graduates don't need a commercial photography special use permit unless:

1. They are using multiple props in the photo (and items they can hold in their hand like flowers don't count as a prop) and or
2. They are setting up photography equipment like lights, screens, big tripods, constructing a set (IE. items that could get in the way of regular visitors) and/or
3. They are using paid models (wedding parties, graduates, and family reunion folks are not considered models since they are not being paid to be in the photo) and/or
4. The photos they are taking will be used to advertise a product and/or
5. The photo will be taken at a location in the park that is normally closed to visitors.
6. Or taking the photo in the chosen location would cause an unsafe situation i.e. a photographer is not allowed to stand a wedding party so that they block a doorway or block a stairway, impeding regular visitor traffic.
If any of the above six criteria are met, the photographer will probably need a special use permit.

Special Use Permit applications involving any natural or cultural resource disturbance must provide a location map and Pennsylvania Natural Diversity Inventory Environmental Review (PNDI) receipt for Threatened and Endangered Species. The park is responsible for completing NEPA and Section 106 reviews and the applicant should allow adequate time for those reviews to take place after the permit application has been received by the Park staff.

For further clarification and more information please e-mail the Special Use Permit Coordinator John Hrubochak at

Last updated: November 1, 2020

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

733 Lake Road
South Fork, PA 15956


(814) 886-6171

Contact Us