Most of the following is taken directly from, Historic Structures Report, Appendices: Clubhouse, Brown Cottage, Moorhead Cottage, and Clubhouse Annex, for the National Park Service. Any text that is not directly from this source will appear in italics.
"Jesse H. Lippincott was born February 18, 1842 at Mt. Pleasant, Westmoreland County. He was the son of the merchant Joseph H. and Eliza (Strickler) Lippincott. His family connection is large; his great-great-great grandparents were Richard and Abigail Lippincott from England and Richard was a descendant in the twelfth generation from Robert De Lughencott who in the reign of Henry II held the Manor of Hughcott, Devonshire. The family was granted 8 coats of arms from the College of Heralds.
Jesse H. enlisted in the Civil War and served three years in the Twenty-eighth regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers, after which he returned to Pittsburgh and entered the grocery business with a store at the corner of Smithfield Street and Second Avenue." He entlisted as a private in the 28th Pennsylvania Company B, then was transferred to Company H on April 29, 1864. Lippincott was engaged in the glassmaking business. "A few years later, he began the Rochester Tumbler Company, which grew to be the largest tumbler manufacturer in the world." The Rochester-Tumbler Company, which was the principle employer in Rochester, for 27 years was organized in the spring of 1872. J.H. Lippincott was secretary and treasurer of the company as well as a director. At the peak of its success the company was making 150,000 tumblers a day and employed 1100 people. "He was one of the original stockholders in the Bell Telephone Company, Hostetter Coke Company, and the Wheeling and Bridgewater Gas Company. Also, he held the positions of President of the First National Bank of Braddock, one of the directors of the Fifth National Bank of Pittsburgh and the First National Bank of Rochester." He and Philander C. Knox were directors of the Fifth National Bank of Pittsburgh, located at 16 Sixth Street, founded in 1871. He was also on the board of this bank with South Fork Fishing and Hunting Club members George W. Huff, James C. Clark, and John L. Lloyd. A man named Richard Coulter was also on the board of directors of this bank.
"In addition, Jesse H. settled the estate of C.P. Markle & Sons valued at $1,000,000, and was the founder of the Banner Baking Powder Company. He purchased the Edison Phonograph Company and spent the rest of his life's effort to bring the phonograph, which was before its time, into popular use. Jesse H. brought the first phonograph to Pittsburgh. It was while in this endeavor that his health began to fail him and he was advised by physicians to live a quieter life. He chose to do so in Newton Center, Ma.
The following is an article that appeared in The Indiana (PA) Progress, on November 20, 1879:
Last updated: October 31, 2017