Henry Patton was born October 25, 1836, in Smithfield, Fayette County, PA, to John Lockwood and Nancy Bowell Patton. He married Mary Adele Hamilton and they were the parents of: James Hamilton Patton; Viola S. Patton; and Harry Clyde Patton.
Like so many other members of the South Fork Fishing and Hunting Club, Patton served in the Civil War, entering service as a private on October 15, 1861, in the Pennsylvania 85th Regiment, Company G. He rose to the rank of sergeant. On April 21, 1863, after the Battle of Hilton Head Island, he was awarded a medal for his conduct in the trenches.
He was associated with the Pittsburgh Glass Works, originated by A. and D.H. Chambers. Upon the retirement of A. Chambers in 1875, the company was run by Patton and fellow South Fork Fishing and Hunting Club member James A. Chambers.
He died on June 7, 1926, at Albion, PA.