A.G. Harmes was born in New York state in 1847.
He owned and operated Harmes Machine Depot since 1874. This business was first located at 92 & 94 First Avenue, Pittsburgh, then it was moved to 97 & 99 First Avenue. This company was a manufacturer and well-known distributor of steam engines, boilers, and machinery. Harmes Machine Depot carried a general stock of portable and stationary engines and boilers, saw mills, mill gearing, woodworking machinery, and all types of automatic marine and other engines of all sorts.
He married Susan B., who was born in 1850. In 1880, the family resided in Allegheny. Also in the household were: Maud Harmes, Eddie Harmes, and Grace Harmes. Sarah Garner a sister of either A.G. or Susan, also resided in the residence.