The Plains Depot is the oldest building in Plains, having been constructed in 1888. Plains Depot served the community of Plains as a freight and passenger depot until 1951 when passenger service was discontinued. The building was opened in 1976 as Jimmy Carter's presidential campaign headquarters and during that time approximately 10,000 people a day came to Plains to find out about candidate Jimmy Carter. Many state primary victories, as well as the presidential victory, were celebrated in the streets around the depot.
The Plains Train Depot contains a self-guided museum with exhibits focusing on Jimmy Carter’s campaigns for state senator, governor of Georgia, and the 1976 presidential campaign.
Last updated: December 12, 2019