The Boyhood Farm

The Carter home and store along Old Plains Highway
The Carter Home and store along Old Plains Highway, 2019

NPS Photo

The Boyhood Farm was owned by Earl Carter, Jimmy’s father, from 1928 until 1949. Earl Carter grew corn, cotton, peanuts, and sugar cane on the farm in addition to the large family garden.

Jimmy Carter lived on this farm from the age of four until he departed for college. The farm is restored to its appearance before electricity was installed in 1938. As you stroll along the walking path, stop and read the wayside exhibits at various points along the way. Push the buttons on the audio stations to listen to Jimmy Carter share stories about his childhood.

 

Last updated: July 16, 2020

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

300 North Bond Street
Plains, GA 31780

Phone:

(229) 824 - 4104 x0
The main phone system for Jimmy Carter National Historical Park. The visitor information desk is manned from 9 am until 5 pm daily except for New Year's Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.

Contact Us