Teacher Trainings / Workshops
In the fall season of each year, Jewel Cave National Monument offers educational training for teachers, educators, naturalists, home school leaders, and other interested academic professionals. The workshops relate to national curriculum that provides hands-on activities and lesson plans for use in the classroom. The training also encourages participants to use their new experiences in the field by visiting the Monument or other public land sites with students.
The next available workshop is entitled Project Underground and is slated for Friday through Sunday, September 18 - 20, 2015. The workshop focuses on cave and karst environments, engaging participants with numerous caving activities and on-site field trip scenarios. The Monument has partnered with the University of Sioux Falls in Sioux Falls, South Dakota for one-hour of professional development credit for interested educators. For further information, please contact the Chief of Interpretation or check back for more details after July 1st.
On-Site Field Trip Opportunities
Jewel Cave National Monument offers an assortment of on-site field trip opportunities for interested school groups. Ranging from half-day ranger guided tours to all day educational experiences, teachers may be interested in exploring this unique site within the National Park Service.
Surface programs do not require a fee waiver and can be conducted at any time within an approved day-use area. However, educational groups wishing to participate in a cave tour are welcome to submit a request for an Academic Fee Waiver. Groups need to be from an accredited institution (public or private school), and the proposed visit must be related to an approved curriculum.
Academic Fee Waiver Requirements and Guidance
Academic fee waiver applications:
- must include at least three weeks of submission time in order to be reviewed.
- are reviewed in the order in which they are received.
- will only be reviewed for the Scenic and Discovery Tours.
- (if approved) will be placed on the early and/or mid-morning tour times.
- will not be considered for dates in mid to late May or the month of September.
- will not be considered for dates that include Sundays or Mondays.
- (if approved) will be required to maintain specific participation numbers.
- are not granted automatically for any group, nor for any specific date(s).
- will only be allowed a maximum of two tour times in one morning per day.
- are not required for surface activities or volunteer service projects