The Dolley Todd House

Color photo of the Todd House kitchen showing a narrow work space with wooden work tables on either side of the room and a fireplace along the back wall.  Redware bowls and pewter utensils sit on the tables and near the fireplace.
Food preparation would have consumed much of the family's time.

NPS photo

 
Located at on the northeast corner of 4th and Walnut Streets, the Todd House was built in 1775. It was occupied from 1791 -1793 by lawyer John Todd, and his wife Dolley Payne. Todd died during the 1793 yellow fever epidemic. Following her husband's death, Dolley married James Madison, later to become the fourth President of the United States. The couple subsequently moved to the Madison estate in Virginia. The Todd House reflects the lifestyle of 18th century Philadelphia's middle class. The site has limited visiting hours. Learn more about visiting the Todd House.

Last updated: August 27, 2016

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

143 S. 3rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106

Phone:

(215) 965-2305

Contact Us