Special Uses

Four chairs facing a small table await an outdoor wedding ceremony.
Weddings in the park require special use permits.

NPS Photo

Activities in the park that benefit an individual, group or organization, rather than the public at large require permits. A complete list of these activities are listed in the Superintendent's Compendium of Rules and Regulations. Other commercial activities or soliciting business within the park require a commercial use authorization.

Filming & Still Photography Permits

The National Park Service conserves and protects areas of untold beauty, grandeur and historical importance for current and future generations. The tradition of capturing images of these special places started with explorers who traveled with paint and canvas or primitive cameras. Sharing these images helped inspire the creation of national parks. Today, visitors to national parks continue to memorialize their visits through filming and photography.

Effective October 28, 2022, the National Park Service rescinded interim guidance that was in place during litigation regarding commercial filming and has returned to longstanding laws and regulations governing commercial filming in parks. Read more about filming and photography in parks.

Application Forms

Download application forms and instructions for common special park uses. Return completed forms to the Visitor Center or mail them to Herbert Hoover NHS, Special Park Uses Coordinator, P. O. Box 607, West Branch, IA 52358-0607. Call (319) 643-2541 with permit questions.

Last updated: November 8, 2022

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

P.O. Box 607
West Branch, IA 52358


319 643-2541

Contact Us