|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Jessica Ferracane, 808-985-6018Hawaii National Park, Hawai‘i – Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park announces the following upcoming flight plans for September 2016:
• September 6 and 8, between 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. to shuttle equipment and camp supplies from Mauna Ulu to Nāpau campsite for resource surveys
• September 6, between 8 a.m. and 11 a.m. for invasive mullein survey and control on Mauna Loa between 7,000- and 9,000-ft. elevation
• September 7, between 6 a.m. to 10 a.m., Mauna Loa Road to the Mauna Loa and Red Hill cabins between 6,000- and 13,250-ft. elevation, for maintenance on the structures
• September 7 and 22, time TBD, to haul out old fence material from Mauna Loa along the boundary of Kapapala and Ka‘ū Forest Reserve
• September 15 and 16, between 6 a.m. and noon, for helicopter training in the Kahuku Unit between 2,500- and 6,000-ft. elevation
• September 21, from 10 a.m. to noon, aircraft inspection and flight near the summit of Kīlauea
In addition, the USGS Hawaiian Volcano Observatory may conduct flight operations over Kīlauea and Mauna Loa to assess volcanic activity and maintain instrumentation.
The park regrets any noise impact to residents and park visitors. Dates and times are subject to change based on aircraft availability and weather. Management of the park requires the use of aircraft to monitor and research volcanic activity, conduct search-and-rescue missions and law enforcement operations, support management of natural and cultural resources, and to maintain backcountry facilities.