|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Jessica Ferracane, 808-985-6018
Hawaii National Park, Hawai‘i – Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park announces the following upcoming flight plans for October and November:
• Wed., Oct. 8 and Thurs., Oct. 9, between 6 a.m. and 11 a.m., ungulate surveys in Kahuku between 3,000-ft. and 7,000-ft. elevation
• Thurs., Oct.16, between 8 a.m. and noon, from the summit of Kīlauea to Mauna Loa at about 9,000-ft. elevation for petrel monitoring
• Thurs., Oct. 16 and Fri., Oct. 17, fountain grass monitoring and control from Ka‘aha, to the Great Crack along the Southwest Rift Zone of Kīlauea
• Mon., Nov. 3 and Wed., Nov. 5, transport camp supplies from Hilina Pali Rd. to Kamo‘oali‘i. for fountain grass monitoring and control
• Tues., Nov. 4, between 6 a.m. and 8 a.m., ungulate surveys and control work in Kahuku between 3,000-ft and 7,000-ft. elevation
• Mon., Nov. 10, between 8 a.m. and 10 a.m., mullein surveys on Mauna Loa
• Mon. Nov. 24 and Tues., Nov. 25, between 8 a.m. and noon, from the summit of Kīlauea to Mauna Loa at about 9,000-ft. elevation for petrel monitoring
The park regrets any noise impact to residents and park visitors. Dates and times are subject to change based on aircraft availability and weather.
Management of the park requires the use of aircraft to monitor and research volcanic activity, conduct search-and-rescue missions and law enforcement operations, support management of natural and cultural resources, and to maintain backcountry facilities.