|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Polly Angelakis, 808-572-4450
The next commercial-free day at Haleakalā National Park will occur on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 (Summer Solstice). As specified in the park's Commercial Services Plan, commercial-free days are opportunities for Kanaka Maoli to conduct traditional cultural practices in the park without commercial tours present.
Although no commercial tours will be allowed on June 21, the park will remain open to all visitors and regular entrance fees will apply.
In determining all the commercial-free dates, park officials sought input from Native Hawaiian staff, community members, the Bishop Museum, and the park's kūpuna group. Future commercial-free dates will be:
- Lolopua, one of the two days commonly known as zenith noon (July 18, 2016)
- Start of Makahiki - 1st rites begin on kapu period of Hua (October 11, 2016)
- Winter solstice (December 21, 2016)
- End of Makahiki - after kapu period of Hua (January 10, 2017)
- Summer solstice (June 21, 2017)
"We are really hoping the community will take advantage of these commercial-free days to come to their park," said Superintendent Natalie Gates. "We are also looking for ways to improve the experience if possible," she added.
For more information on commercial-free days and the park's Commercial Services Plan please visit https://www.nps.gov/hale/parkmgmt/csp.htm.