Hamilton Grange Virtual Tour

An illustration of the front facade of the Grange.

I have purchased about thirty acres nine miles from town, have built a house, planted a garden, and entered upon some other simple improvements.

-Alexander Hamilton, 1802

With his political career effectively winding down in the late 1790's, Alexander Hamilton shifted his focus and passions towards the building of a country estate in Harlem Heights. The Grange, as it came to be called, served as a refuge for Hamilton in the last years of his life, and served as the Hamilton family home for many years after his death. Today, you can visit visit The Grange virtually. Follow the links on this page to explore individual rooms.


Explore the Rooms

A table in a white table cloth bears silverware, a mirror tray, candle sticks, flowers and glasses.
Dining Room

The Dining Room at The Grange was equipped to host over a dozen dinner guests.

A marble bust of Hamilton stands on a pedestal in a hallway with an arch and checkered flooring.

The Foyer gave the first impression of the home to visitors at the Grange.

A late 18th century model pianoforte stands among chairs upholstered in green silk.

The parlor was the main entertaining space for the guests at the Grange.

A room painted lime green contains mahogany bookshelves, a winged armchair, a tea table and a desk.

The study was where Hamilton wrote and did work from his country seat.

Blueprint of Grange Basement. The largest is the kitchen, which spans the entire length of the house. Joining the kitchen are the family dining room and ironing room, which are equal in size. There is a small room labelled Servant's Room..
This is an architectural sketch of the Hamilton Grange basement. Because the basement was lost during The Grange's first move, this sketch can only surmise the original layout.

NPS Photo

Basement Layout

Having been moved twice, this is the third basement attached to The Grange. Remarkably, some structural evidence for the basement's original layout still exists, and today's walls roughly reflect the original layout. While it is impossible to know exactly how each of the rooms were used, evidence reveals that the kitchen used to exist where the bathrooms are located today.

The most detailed historical account of the basement's contents is preserved in a letter from John McComb, Jr, the architect of The Grange, to Alexander Hamilton on June 22, 1801. In this letter, McComb proposes various projects which will complete the building of The Grange:

"To Lath & plaster the ceiling of the cellar Story throughout.

To Plaster the Side walls of Kitchen, Ironing Room, Hall, & passage, & to point & white wash the Stone & brick walls of the other part of Cellar Story.

To Lay both Kitchen hearths with brick placed edge ways.

To put a strong Iron back in the Kitchen fire place five feet long by 2 ft. 9 inches high.

To put another Iron back in the Ironing Room 3’6" by 2’9"."

Blueprint of Hamilton Grange First Floor. Two octagonal rooms, the parlor and dining room, dominate the floor. Also contains the study, and two small chambers on the northern side of the house.
The first floor of Hamilton Grange has been restored to its historical appearance.

NPS Photo

First Floor Layout

This floor of The Grange has been restored to its historical appearance. The large, stately front door opens to the foyer. From the foyer, Alexander Hamilton’s study is to the immediate right. On either side of the bust opens the doors to the parlor and the dining room. In the back of the house, two small rooms are used as exhibit spaces due to the lack of evidence for their historical use.

Today, the first floor is the focus of the historical restoration of The Grange's interior. Visitors wishing to see a historically accurate respresentation of the home would visit the first floor. More information about historic floor tours can be found here.
This floor of The Grange contains two equal-size bedrooms, a smaller bedroom, and a living room which fills the northern side of the house. It has been partitioned into two rooms with later renovations.
The upper floor of The Grange is now used as staff offices.

NPS Photo

Second Floor Layout

The second floor, which was used as sleeping quarters, is accessed via the stairs to the left of the foyer. Because no historical records exist to tell us what the second floor contained, this space is used today as National Park Service employee offices. It is thought that the east and west rooms were used by Eliza and Alexander, respectively, and the long room was used by the whole family. This is not confirmed, however. Furnishing style and layout is also unknown.

Last updated: December 1, 2022

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

414 West 141st Street
New York, NY 10031



Contact Us