COVID-19 Update (as of April 2, 2020)
In effort to slow the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19) and encourage social distancing, the George Washington Memorial Parkway is limiting access to the parking lot at Great Falls Park.
Hiking trails are open at Great Falls Park but following guidance from the CDC and recommendations from state and local public health officials, Great Falls Park Visitor Center is temporarily closed, and fee operations have been suspended. The parking lot at Great Falls Park will open later and have limited capacity on Saturdays and Sundays to encourage park visitors to follow CDC guidance to help slow the spread of coronavirus.
All restrooms and porta-johns in the park are temporarily closed.
Park staff continue to monitor conditions and may make operational changes. The NPS is focused on ensuring employees, their families, volunteers, and visitors are following the most current guidance from the CDC, OPM, OEM, and other federal, state, and local health authorities.
If you decide to visit your local park, Park Rangers remind you to:
- Limit driving to essential travel only. Find exercise and recreation options that are available within walking or biking distance from your home. Flatten the curve we are all in this together.
- Observe CDC’s guidance of maintaining a distance of six feet from people if you choose to visit a park, go for a hike, or exercise outside.
- Be prepared before you leave and time outings so that you are not dependent on public restrooms —park users will find that all public restrooms are closed.
- Do not use trails if you have symptoms, cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing and wash your hands frequently.
- Bring water or drinks—public drinking fountains may be disabled and should not be used, even if operable.
- Bring a suitable trash bag. Leave no trash, take everything out to protect park workers.
- Carry hand sanitizer.
Signs will be posted at affected locations. Park visitors are asked to adhere to all closure notices and current social distancing recommendations.
Park staff work diligently to provide a safe and clean environment for the public to enjoy. We have implemented changes in our work structure and work practices to provide for the health and safety of our workforce. These changes may result in a delay in response or service delivery. We appreciate your patience and support of the George Washington Memorial Parkway.