Access to Governors Island is by ferry only.
Daily Ferry Service from Lower Manhattan
The Trust for Governors Island operates daily passenger ferry service from Lower Manhattan from the Governors Island Ferry Waiting Room in the Battery Maritime Building, next door and to the left of the Staten Island Ferry Terminal at 10 South Street at the corner South and Whitehall Streets. Ferry runs hourly starting at 10 AM. On weekends it runs every half hour starting at 11:30 AM.
To Governors Island
10 AM, 11 AM, Noon, 1 PM, 2 PM, 3 PM,
Last weekday ferry TO the island departs at 4 PM
Leave Governors Island
10:30 AM, 11:30 AM, 12:30 PM, 1:30 PM, 2:30 PM, 3:30 PM,
4:30 PM, 5 PM. Last ferry FROM the island departs at 6 PM
Weekends, Holiday Mondays
To Governors Island
10 AM*, 11 AM*, 11:30 AM*, Noon, 12:30 PM, 1 PM, 1:30 PM, 2 PM, 2:30 PM, 3 PM
3:30 PM, 4 PM, 4:30 PM, 5 PM. Last ferry TO the island departs at 5:30 PM.
* Free ferry
Leave Governors Island
10:30 AM, 11:30 AM, Noon, 12:30 PM, 1 PM, 1:30 PM, 2 PM, 2:30 PM, 3 PM, 3:30 PM,
4 PM, 4:30 PM, 5 PM, 5:30 PM, 6 PM, 6:30, Last ferry FROM the island departs at 7 PM.
Livery or Taxi Cab Service to Governors Island Ferry Waiting Room
If you are traveling to the Lower Manhattan ferry by cab or livery service, ask to be taken to the Staten Island Ferry Terminal. Most drivers know that location. They do not always know where Governors Island is located and might take you to some other island by mistake...
Manhattan Subway Service to Governors Island Ferry Waiting Room
- 1 at South Ferry from westside of Manhattan. You can take the 2 or 3 express train to Chambers Street. Please be in the first 5 cars. Any cars behind the conductor can not unload at South Ferry.
- R at Whitehall from Forest Hill, Queens, midtown Manhattan, Coney Island, Brooklyn
- 4/5 at Bowling Green near The Battery. Head down to the Staten Island Ferry Terminal and next door to the Governors Island Ferry Waiting Room.
Manhattan Bus Service to Governors Island Ferry Waiting Room
- B5 - GW Bridge, Broadway, 59th Street at Central Park, 5th Avenue, Broadway to South and Whitehall Streets, right across the street from the Governors Island Ferry Waiting Room..
- B20 - Lincoln Center, generally the west side along 7th Avenue, Varrick, Battery Park City to South and Whitehall Streets, right across the street from the Governors Island Ferry Waiting Room..
- B15 Select Bus - From 125th Street, 2nd Avenue, Little Italy, Chinatown, Lower East Side, Water Street to South and Whitehall Streets, right across the street from the Governors Island Ferry Waiting Room.
Driving to Lower Manhattan
Vehicles are not allowed on Governors Island and there is no public parking at the Governors Island Ferry Waiting Room at the Battery Maritime Building. On-street parking is scarce, limited to 1 hour and tickets are costly. Please plan to park in one of the pay lots along South, Broad or Whitehall Streets.
- East Side - Take the FDR Drive to Exit 1, South Ferry. As you exit, stay in the left lane on southbound South Street, make the u-turn at the side of the Staten Island Ferry terminal. Now heading northbound on South Street, the Governors Island Ferry Terminal is the large green building on your right
- West Side - Take the West Highway through the Battery Park Underpass. When you emerge from the underpass on to the FDR, take the first exit right at Exit 1 - Staten Island Ferry. At the first light, turn left, southbound on South Street, in a block you will merge with the FDR exit ramp mentioned above. Stay in the left lane, take the u-turn at the side of the Staten Island Ferry terminal. Now you are on northbound South Street and the Governors Island Ferry Terminal is the large green building on your right
Weekend Ferry Service from Brooklyn
The Trust operates weekend only ferry service from Brooklyn Bridge Park's Pier 6, at the south end of the park and the end of Atlantic Avenue. Weekend ferry runs every hour starting at 11 AM. All weekend ferry runs before 11:30 AM are free, otherwise round trip ferry service to Governors Island costs $2 for adults, $1 for seniors, children under 12 ride the ferry for free at all times.
Directions to Pier 6 in Brooklyn
- Subway: 2/3 or 4/5 to Borough Hall. Cross Court Street and take Joralemon Street for 9 blocks / .5 mile / 10 minutes to the waterfront. Turn left, go one block to Pier 6.
- Bus: B63 ends its run one block away at the end of Atlantic Avenue and Columbia Street
Weekend ferry runs at 10am, 11am and 11:30am ferries from Manhattan and the 11am and 11:30am ferries from Brooklyn ride free. For all other ferries to Governors Island adults can purchase $2 round-trip tickets online or at the dock for afternoon ferries. Children under 12 ride the ferry for free at all times.
Commercial East River Ferry Service
East River Ferry provides commercial weekend service between 34th Street/Manhattan, Hunters Point/Long Island City, India Street/Greenpoint, North 6th Street/Williamsburg, Schaefer Landing/South Williamsburg, Fulton Street/Brooklyn Bridge Park/DUMBO, Wall Street Pier 11/Manhattan and landing weekends only on Governors Island. Rates and schedules at: http://www.eastriverferry.com/