Flag Room at General Grant National Memorial
In the center of the reliquary room are bronze trophy cases containing replicas of Civil War battle flags.


A Special Use Permit is required for any activity that provides a benefit to an individual, group, or organization, rather than to the park or the public at large. Many of the events that require permits also require some degree of oversight from National Park Service staff. To learn more about applying for a Special Use Permit, read the instructions and requirements.

First Amendment Activities
We encourage citizens to exercise rights guaranteed by the Constitution. However, the courts have recognized that activities associated with the exercise of these rights may be reasonably regulated to protect the public and park resources. Therefore, such First Amendment activities involving over 25 participants require Special Use Permits, and National Park Service staff may regulate the time, place, and manner in which they are conducted. Some examples are:

  • distribution and/or sale of printed matter
  • religious services
  • public demonstrations or assemblies, etc.
  • collecting signatures for petitions

Commercial Filming/Photography Application Form

A permit is required for any filming or photography conducted by photojournalists and other members of the media within the boundary of General Grant National Memorial.

For more information regarding special use, commercial filming, and/or short term leasing at General Grant National Memorial, contact the Special Use Permits Coordinator at (212) 825-6990.

Inquiries can also be made via e-mail by following this link: e-mail us.

Application Process
To apply for a permit, complete the form, and send it with a non-refundable application fee of $50 to:

ATTN: Special Use Permits Coordinator

Manhattan Sites
26 Wall Street
New York, NY 10005

Please make check or money order payable to the "National Park Service". Note that this is only an application form. A permit form will be sent to you pending approval of your proposed activity. Special Use Permits are not valid until signed by the Superintendent or other authorized federal official. Please be advised that additional fees maybe assessed, depending upon the nature of the activity.

Last updated: July 2, 2014

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

Riverside Drive and W. 122nd Street
New York, NY 10027


(646) 670-7251

Contact Us