Film & Photography Permits

Three photographers photograph sunset over the Yukon River

NPS/Josh Spice

Current Guidance - November 1, 2022

Most questions regarding permitting for commercial filming and still photography are answered on the NPS national webpage for Filming & Still Photography. This is a great resource.

Additional park-specific information related to drone use, working in wilderness and how to apply for a film permit for Gates of the Arctic National Park & Preserve is available below.

Lands of the United States were set aside by Congress, Executive Order, or otherwise acquired in order to conserve and protect areas of untold beauty and grandeur, historical importance, and uniqueness for future generations. The tradition of capturing images of these special places started with explorers who traveled with paint and canvas or primitive photo apparatus. It was the sharing of these images that led to the designation of these areas as national parks and monuments. Visitors to national parks today continue to memorialize their visits through videos and photographs.

"No Drone Zone" drones prohibited symbol by Federal Aviation Administration

No Drone Zone

Launching, landing or operating unmanned or remote controlled aircraft in Gates of the Arctic is prohibited.

Learn more about regulations pertaining to the use of unmanned aircraft in the national parks.

Map of Gates of the Arctic National Park & Preserve depicting area of eligible Wilderness designation
Click the map to view larger

Filming in Wilderness Areas

Much of Gates of the Arctic National Park and Preserve is Congressionally designated wilderness. Additional park lands are eligible for wilderness designation in the future (see map). Wilderness areas have specific laws and policies to preserve their wilderness character for future generations. These include prohibitions on structures, installations, motor vehicles, mechanical transport, motorized equipment, motorboats, and helicopter landings. Note that unmanned aircraft fall under the categories of “motorized equipment” and “mechanical transport” and are therefore prohibited in all NPS wilderness areas.

Learn more about working in wilderness in Alaska.

How to Apply

1. Please email the park for an Application for Special Use Permit Commercial Filming and Still Photography.

2. A non-refundable administrative fee of $200 is required in most cases. Payment may be made in the form of a cashier’s check or money order payable to “National Park Service” and mailed to:

National Park Service
Fairbanks Administrative Center
4175 Geist Rd
Fairbanks, AK 99709

To pay with a charge card, please contact the SUP Fee Administrator at (907) 459-3730.

Application Deadlines

For simple permit requests, applications must be received at least three weeks prior to proposed start date.
For more complex requests, applications must be received six weeks in advance.

Insurance Requirement

General liability insurance must be carried by the permittee showing the “U.S. Government, National Park Service, Fairbanks Administrative Center, 4175 Geist Rd, Fairbanks, AK 99709” as additionally insured. Short term policies must show coverage on "occurrence" basis. The minimum amount of commercial liability insurance is one million dollars. Additional amounts may be required for high-risk activities.


Please email us directly for more information about commercial filming and to discuss ways to minimize potential impacts to subsistence users, visitors and sensitive park resources.

Looking for a different kind of use permit? See the options below.
  • Research Permits
  • Special Use Permits
    1. Other Special Use Permits - a catch-all category including but not limited to activities such as special assemblies, athletic events or races, temporary access requests, first amendment activities, groups with 12 or more participants, etc.

Last updated: January 6, 2023

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

101 Dunkel St.
Suite 110

Fairbanks, AK 99701



Contact Us