This image shows another spot where our Field School students will be digging this summer - the site of William Kaulehelehe's house.
In 1844, Chief Factor John McLoughlin requested that the Hudson's Bay Company send "a trusty educated Hawaiian of good character to read the scriptures and assemble his people for public worship." As a result, William Kaulehelehe was sent to the fort, along with his wife Mary Kaai. Kaulehelehe's principle duties included preaching, teaching, and keeping order among the fort's Hawaiian employees.
William and Mary lived in a small, one-and-a-half story house, much like the reconstructed Village houses in this photo. According to historical sketches, his house was oriented east-west.
Kaulehelehe remained in the Village until 1860, when the U.S. Army demolished his house.
The perspective in this photograph shows the landscape William and Mary would have seen every day - their neighboring Village houses, the stockade of Fort Vancouver, and Mt. Hood in the distance.