Special use permits are required for any activity that provides a benefit to an individual group or organization rather than the public at large. A permit is also required for an activity not initiated, sponsored, nor conducted by the National Park Service that is disruptive or potentially disruptive to normal park operations.

A $50 non-refundable application fee must be submitted with the application form for the application to be considered. If the permit is approved and issued, additional fees will be charged to recover costs incurred by the National Park Service for administering the permitted activity.

Permitted activities must not interfere with general park visitation or park programs. Therefore, the pavilion on the path from the visitor center to the meadow is not available for reservations. This pavilion is available on a first come, first served basis when not being used for park programs. In addition, due to the high monitoring costs, permits for overnight activities such as group camping are no longer issued.

Special Use Permit applications involving any natural or cultural resource disturbance must provide a location map and Pennsylvania Natural Diversity Inventory Environmental Review (PNDI) receipt for Threatened and Endangered Species. The park is responsible for completing NEPA and Section 106 reviews and the applicant should allow adequate time for those reviews to take place after the permit application has been received by the Park staff.

To submit an application:
Print blank form, complete with pen, sign and mail it in.
Complete form on computer, print it, sign it and mail it in.
Please note: applications will not be processed until the application fee is paid unless the superintendent has granted a waiver.

Attention Photographers:

Wedding parties, family reunions, and graduations do not need a commercial photography special use permit unless:

  1. they are using multiple props in the photo (hand held items like flowers do not count as a prop), and/or
  2. they are setting up photography equipment like lights, screens, big tripods, constructing a set (i.e. items that could get in the way of regular park visitors), and/or
  3. they are using models (wedding parties, graduates, and family reunion folks are not considered models since they are not being paid to be in the photo), and/or
  4. the photos will be use to advertise a product, and/or
  5. the photo will be taken at a location in the park that is normally closed to visitors, or
  6. taking the photo in the chosen location would cause an unsafe situation or impede regular visitor traffic.
If any of the above six criteria are met, the photographer will need a special use permit. For further information or clarification, please contact the park's Special Use Coordinator, Renee Benson, at 724-329-5804.

Last updated: July 2, 2018

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

1 Washington Parkway
Farmington, PA 15437


(724) 329-5512

Contact Us