|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Aaron Firth, 757-722-FORT (3678)
Contact: Darcy Sink, 757-690-8073
Contraband Commemoration 2017 Juried Art Competition
The 2017 Juried Art Competition is part of an annual event series at Fort Monroe to commemorate the “Contraband Decision,” which took place at the fort during the early days of the American Civil War and had far-reaching legal, social, and political influence on the unraveling of slavery in the United States. Submitted works must reflect the theme of: “The ‘Contraband Decision’ and Its Impact.”
A panel of judges will select works for a public exhibition. The top three entries will be awarded with cash prizes of $100 for 1st place, $60 for 2nd place, and $40 for 3rd place, sponsored by the Contraband Historical Society.
SUBMISSION RULES & ELIGIBILITY: All works must meet the following guidelines to be considered.
- The Contraband Commemoration 2017 Juried Art Competition is open to students in grades 9-12.
- Work must have clear relation to the theme, which is: “The ‘Contraband Decision’ and Its Impact.” Click on the following links for some historical background on the theme, but these are by no means exhaustive:
- Work must be two-dimensional. Accepted media are as follows:
- Paintings: oil, acrylics, watercolor, etc.
- Drawings: colored pencil, pencil, ink, marker, pastels, charcoal (fixative recommended for pastels and charcoal)
- Collages: must be two-dimensional
- Prints: lithograph, silk screen, block print
- Photography or computer-generated art
- Mixed Media: use of two or more media such as pencil, ink, watercolor, etc.
- Work cannot exceed 24” x 24” x 4” (24 x 24 inches length/width and 4 inches deep, not including mounting.)
- Work must be mounted or matted. Border should not exceed 3.5 inches on any side.
- Work must not exceed 15 pounds including mounting or matting.
- Submitted work must be original in concept, design, and execution and may not violate any US copyright laws or contain any copyrighted images or phrases.
- Work must not have been previously submitted in any other competition.
- A complete and legible ARTIST INFORMATION AND RELEASE FORM (see page 3) must be submitted with each work. The artist should ensure the relation to the theme is expressed clearly on the entry form,
- A complete and legible ARTWORK IDENTIFICATION CARD should be detached from the INFORMATION AND RELEASE form, page 3, and must be affixed to the back of each work. Click here for the entry form.
- Works must be submitted and received by April 21, 2017 to:
20 Bernard Road
Fort Monroe, VA 23651
Submissions will be received Tuesday-Sunday, 10:30 am - 4:30 pm. Please bring works to the museum exit and ring the doorbell. Questions: 757-690-8073 or email@example.com.
Tags: Fort Monroe Fort Monroe National Monument Fort Monroe NM national park service nps Fort Monroe Authority FMA Freedoms Fortress Casemate Museum Contraband Contraband Historical Society CHS Contraband Decision Ben Butler Frank Baker Sheppard Mallory James Townsend American Civil War art Art Contest Juried Art Contest High School Art Contest Slavery End of Slavery