In 1742, during the War of Jenkins' Ear, English and Spanish forces fought in an encounter later known as the "Battle of Bloody Marsh". The name came from old tales claiming the marsh "ran red with the blood of Spaniards". However, official Spanish records indicate that only seven grenadiers died during this battle.
The Bloody Marsh Unit is located on St. Simon's Island, on 11806 Old Demere Road. It is open from
8:30 am to 4:00 pm, 7 days a week, except for Thanksgiving, Christmas Day and New Year's Day.
Last updated: April 16, 2020