Commercial Use Authorization

Commercial Use Authorizations

Federal regulations prohibit engaging in or soliciting any business in park areas, except in accordance with the provisions of a permit, contract, or other written agreement with the United States. As in other National Park Service areas, commercial visitor services or other commercial activities may be provided only by those holding an authorization from the United States.
A Commercial Use Authorization (CUA) may be obtained from the National Park Service to authorize companies or individuals to conduct business in Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument on an annual basis. A CUA provides a group a non-exclusive license to offer services to park visitors.
An organization is considered a business if you provide goods, services, activities, or other things to the public using National Park Service lands. If you receive any form of compensation for the things you provide you are conducting a business or commercial activity. The National Park Service definition of a business or commercial organization does not distinguish between commercial and non-profit organizations.
CUA holders have their base of operation outside the park. All the commercial aspects of the activity must occur outside of NPS lands. This includes marketing, advertising, use of permanent or temporary structures, and negotiation with customers. Compensation or payment for services may not occur on NPS lands.
NOTE: Each year, the Secretary of Interior announces "Fee Free Days" in all national parks. During these days, entrance fees are waived in national park areas. On fee free dates, special use permits, commercial use permits and filming permits will not be authorized. The Fee Free Dates for 2018 are: January 15, April 21, September 22, and November 11. Please contact the park Special Use coordinator at (719) 748-3253, ext. 101 with any questions.

Title 36 Code of Federal Regulations 1.6(a) - Permits and 5.3 - Business Operations states:
"Engaging in or soliciting any business in park areas, except in accordance with the provisions of a permit, contract, or other written agreement with the United States, except as such may be specifically authorized under special regulations applicable to a park area, is prohibited."

CUA Permit Requirements
A Commercial Use Authorization (CUA) is a business permit with the National Park Service. It authorizes you to conduct commercial activities and to provide specific visitor services within a National Park Site. Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument only issues CUA's for activities that:
  • are an appropriate use of national park areas.
  • will have minimal impact on park resources and values
  • are consistent with the park's purpose, management plans, policies, and regulations.
You must have a CUA if you or your organization provide services that:
  • take place at least in part in the national park area.
  • use park resources.
  • result in monetary gain
Currently, the following activities are permitted under Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument's CUA program:

1. Photography and Art Workshops
2. Commercial Tours
3. Guided Hiking

4. Guided Bird Watching

You may not conduct commercial activities in the park without a valid CUA or in a manner inconsistent with the terms of the CUA. You must carry a copy of your Commercial Use Authorization with you at all times while operating in the park. Show the CUA at the entrance station fee booth upon arrival.


The National Park Service is authorized to recover, at a minimum, associated management and administrative costs associated with CUA's.
The annual fee is $150.00 per each CUA and is non-refundable.
The CUA fee covers costs of processing and administering your CUA. These include overseeing the operational requirements stipulated in the permit. CUA permit holders must pay entrance fees for their clients at the $7.00 per person rate.
If paying by check, please make it payable to the National Park Service.

How to Apply
Return the application, and accompanying documentation as listed above, and the $250 CUA fee to:
Commercial Use Authorization Coordinator
Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument
PO Box 185
Florissant, CO 80816

All applications will be handled in the order they are received. Standard requests can be processed in 10 business days. Requests that involve multiple locations, complex logistics, and coordination with other NPS divisions or visitor activities may require a minimum of four weeks to process. A minimum of four weeks is also required to process permits for projects that need additional environmental compliance.

Required Forms and Documentation
Colorado National Monument requires the following information in order to complete a CUA application:
1. The $150 CUA fee. Please make check payable to National Park Service.
2. A completed CUA application.
3. Proof of adequate general liability insurance and automobile insurance. Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument needs to be listed on the General Liability Insurance as a co-insurer or an additional insurer. It needs to read as follows:

United States Government
Department of the Interior
National Park Service
Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument
PO Box 185
Florissant, CO 80816

4. General comprehensive liability: $500,000 occurrence as a minimum or if the policy is written as a combination policy covering bodily injury and property damage or $3,000,000 general aggregate. Climbing guide service will require $1,000,000 per occurrence at a minimum and $5,000,000 general aggregate.

5. At least one guide must have an American Red Cross or American Heart Association First Aid card or its equivalent and a current CPR card in his/her possession while in the park. A written list of guides with copies of their cards, showing expiration dates, must be sent in with your application.
6. A current brochure of your rates or your website that has the current information, such as rates, and trip dates. Please include an itinerary of the specific dates, areas of the park, and number of clients, you are planning on using for the guided activities.
7. If you require an "Acknowledgment of Risk" form to be signed by your clients, please include a copy of the form that you have your clients and guests sign before participating in the guided activity. Forms cannot be a waiver of liability, insurance disclaimer or indemnification agreement.
8. A completed Commercial Use Authorization Survey form needs to be completed and returned to the park after the calendar year. The form will be mailed to you or may be downloaded.
CLICK HERE FOR Commercial Use Authorization Survey


Last updated: April 25, 2018

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

P.O. Box 185
Florissant, CO 80816


(719) 748-3253

Contact Us