Presidio de Nuestra Señora del Pilar de Zaragoza de los Adaes, Natchitoches Parish, Louisiana
In 1721 Marqués de Aguayo founded this landmark as a frontier outpost to check French expansion in East Texas. It rested a quarter league from the mission of San Miguel de Linares de los Adaes, near the site of present-day Robeline, Louisiana. The presidio was built in the form of a hexagon with three bastions or bulwarks; it had six cannons and was staffed by 100 men.
In 1729 Spain designated Los Adaes as the capital of the province of Texas. This made Los Adaes the official residence of the governor, and a house was constructed for him within the presidio. Los Adaes remained the administrative seat of government of the entire province for the next 44 years. In 1772— 10 years after Louisiana was transferred to Spain—Los Adaes closed and the inhabitants moved to San Antonio. Soon thereafter many of the 500 soldiers and family members left San Antonio and returned to Louisiana, where their descendants live today. This National Historic Landmark is part of Los Adaes State Historic Site.
Time period: 1700s
A Photographic Journey of the Trail - NEXT IMAGE
Last updated: February 24, 2015