Conquista Crossing, Karnes County, Texas
This ford of the San Antonio River is located at a distinct bend in the river. According to information on an 1867 travel map, the ford seems to have been located at the junction of the Laredo Road and the road to Goliad County on the west bank. The route crossed the river to the east bank to join the road to Goliad. Therefore, by 1867 the ford sat at the junction of at least three roads, and two of these roads are designated routes of El Camino Real de los Tejas. The site has a remarkable degree of visual integrity, and several swales are evident on both sides of the river. This crossing may have been associated with Mission San Antonio de Valero’s Rancho de la Mora.
Time period: Not clear
A Photographic Journey of the Trail - NEXT IMAGE