Special Use Permits

Most visitors do not need a permit. Permits are needed for activities beyond a typical visit to the park by a family or individual. At the Statue of Liberty National Monument and Ellis Island, permits are required for organizing and performing activities or assemblies that provide a benefit to an individual, group or organization, rather than the public at large. Special use permits are also needed for activities that require National Park Service staff to protect park resources, the public interest, or both. Examples include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • ceremonies
  • performances
  • festivals
  • cultural programs

Filing a permit application alone does not grant you the right to your activity. Permit applications may be approved or rejected by the park. The $75 fee is nonrefundable, whether your application is approved or denied. Download the Special Use Permit Application

Permit applications must be submitted at least five (5) business days in advance.
The park requires permit applications to be submitted at least five (5) business days before the proposed event.

Permits are reviewed & coordinated through the park’s Permit Office (646) 356-2107 or email.

Permit Application Fee
Once a permit application is submitted, you will be charged a nonrefundable $75 application fee. This fee will not be returned even if your application is rejected. The $75 application fee may be waived for those submitting requests for school band, choir, or dance performances and for certain ceremonies, such as reenlistments.

First Amendment Activities
The NPS will authorize the use of parklands for public assemblies, meetings, demonstrations, religious activities, and other public expressions of views protected by the U.S. Constitution’s First Amendment. However, the courts have recognized that activities associated with the exercise of these rights may be reasonably regulated to protect park resources. Therefore, some First Amendment activities will require a special use permit. There are no fees or costs, and no insurance is required for First Amendment activities.

Application Submittal
Please read the application carefully before filling it out. Special Use Permit applications and Filming Permit applications may be submitted via email or sent via US Postal Service to:

Statue of Liberty National Monument
Attn: Permits
Liberty Island
New York, NY 10004


Commercial Filming & Still Photography


Last updated: March 21, 2024

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

Receiving Office
1 Ellis Island

Jersey City, NJ 07305


212 363-3200

Contact Us