Thomas Edison National Historical Park (NHP) will reopen some visitor facilities with limited occupancy and one-way visitor traffic flow at the Laboratory Complex and Glenmont Estate. These facilities will be open Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 10 AM to 4 PM.
With public health in mind, the following facilities remain closed at this time:
- Glenmont Mansion
- Chemistry Laboratory at the Laboratory Complex (although visitors can look into the building, they may not enter the facility at this time)
Friday, Saturday and Sunday 10am - 4pm
Visitors can enter the following visitor facility buildings at the Laboratory Complex and Glenmont Estate Grounds that will be open from 10 AM to 4 PM, every Friday, Saturday and Sunday:
- Visitor Center (Building 1) which includes the park orientation film and the museum store which will also re-open.
- Main Laboratory Building (Building 5) which includes Thomas Edison’s library, machine shops, music room, and other exhibits.
- Glenmont Grounds (Pass must be obtained from visitor center at Laboratory)
- Glenmont Greenhouse where volunteers from the Short Hills Garden Club and park volunteers care for a variety of exotic plants like those grown by the Edisons.
- Glenmont Garage which contains Thomas Edison’s historic vehicles (as staffing allows)
What's Currently Available:
- Laboratory Courtyard Cell Phone/App self guided tour (information available at visitor center)
- Laboratory Complex Restrooms are open
- Glenmont Grounds Cell Phone/App self guided tour (information available at vistor center)
- Portable Restrooms available on Glenmont Grounds
- Visitor parking lots on Main Street and Glenmont grounds are available for parking
- Ranger staff are available to provide information at Laboratory visitor center
Occupancy levels will be enforced by staff and volunteers and signed at each building. One-way visitor traffic flow will be instituted within the buildings, and benches and other seating inside facilities will be removed to discourage congregating and promote social distancing. Consistent with CDC recommendations and State of New Jersey and Department of the Interior policy, masks must be worn inside buildings by those visitors who are not yet fully vaccinated.
While the Glenmont grounds and certain outbuildings will be accessible for visitors to enjoy in the summer, a return to full operations will continue to be phased and services may be limited temporarily. When visiting, the public should follow local area health orders, park vehicles in designated parking spaces and avoid crowding.
Consistent with CDC recommendations, people who are not fully vaccinated (have received only one vaccine shot or who are within the 14 day window after their second shot or first shot if they have received the one dose vaccine) must continue to wear masks indoors and in crowded outdoor spaces. Additional details are available at https://www.nps.gov/aboutus/news/public-health-update.htm