Why is the Edison Talking Doll historically significant?
It is the world's first recorded-audio entertainment device manufactured for sale to the public.
What makes the Edison Talking Doll Recordings historically and culturally important?
- They are the earliest commercial sound recordings known to survive.
- The factory program that produced these records was probably the first time people were paid to perform for sound recordings.
- The girls (or young women) hired by Edison were arguably the world's first professional recording artists.
- These records carry the earliest known recordings of women's voices made in the United States.
- They are the oldest Children's Records known to survive.