In 1916, interlocking tile linoleum was installed in the first floor servants’ areas in Glenmont. In the 1950s, most of this original flooring was replaced with plain linoleum. The Servants’ Dining Room is the only room in the house that still has the original “Dreadnought Tile” interlocking flooring. This winter, Thomas Edison National Historical Park will install reproduction linoleum to reinstate this character-defining feature. The 1950s linoleum will be removed and a replica of the 1916 historic tile will be installed in the Laundry Room, Refrigerator Room, Butler’s Pantry, Kitchen, and Hallway. Returning these areas to their historic appearance will give the servants’ areas a new and distinctive look.
New Flooring for the Servants Wing
Last updated: February 26, 2015