As of February 22, 2010, federal law makes possession of firearms in national parks subject to local and state firearms laws.
It is the responsibility of visitors to understand and comply with all applicable state, local, and federal firearms laws before entering this park. As a starting point, please visit our state’s website.
For the sites within the District of Columbia:
- District of Columbia Law
- See Division I, Title 7, Subtitle J, Chapter 25
- See also Division IV, Title 22, Subtitle VI, Chapter 45
- District of Columbia Attorney General
For the sites within the State of Maryland:
- Maryland State Law
- See Maryland Code, Public Safety, Title 5
- See also Maryland Code, Criminal Law, Title 4
- Maryland Attorney General
For the sites within the State of Virginia:
Federal law continues to prohibit firearms in federal facilities in this park. Those federal facilities are marked with signs at public entrances.