|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Carol Borneman, (606) 248-2817
Attention all youth five to fourteen years of age! Gather your crayons, pencils, markers or water colors. Let your artistic talents and creativity flow as you design the winning cover for Cumberland Gap National Historical Park’s new Junior Ranger Workbook. Park Ranger Butch Davis describes the workbook as “chock-full of cool activities that allow youth to explore, learn about and protect the national parks.” “Hidden Hiking Gear,” “Operation Overlook,” “Beat Brush Mountain” and “A Balanced Bear Diet” are but a sampling of the workbook activities designed to stimulate curiosity about park resources. Ranger Davis further explains that a generous donation from the National Park Foundation, the official non-profit partner of America’s National Parks, provided for the creation of the workbook.
Art competition guidelines are as follows:
- Open to youth five to fourteen years of age
- Artwork should depict resources at Cumberland Gap National Historical Park
- First name, last initial, city and state must be displayed in the lower right hand corner
- Artwork can be no larger than 8” X 10”
- Medium must be crayons, pencils, markers, water colors or a combination
- All entries must be received by the park no later than September 30th, 2007
- If mailed, artwork should be protected so it cannot be bent or edges destroyed
The winning entry(ies) will be announced in mid-October. All young artists presenting an entry will receive a free pass for one to Gap Cave (children must be accompanied by an adult when taking cave tours). The winning entry will also receive a $100.00 savings bond and plaque. “And of course,” Ranger Davis emphasizes, “the winning entry(ies) will be displayed on the front cover of the Junior Ranger Workbook and will be seen by Junior Rangers throughout the U.S. and even the world.”
Art entries can be delivered to Park Ranger Butch Davis at the park visitor center located on Hwy 25E ½ mile south of Middlesboro, Kentucky. The visitor center is open daily from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Art entries can also be sent to Park Ranger Davis at Cumberland Gap National Historical Park, PO Box 1848, Middlesboro, KY 40965.
For additional information on the art competition or any park program, please call (606) 248-2817, extension 1075.