Boy/Explorer/Girl Scout Test
The first set of questions can be answered from the listening stations, exhibits, and interpretive panels throughout the Visitor Center. The second half of this test can be answered on the interpretive trail behind the Visitor Center. Please be sure to read over the questions before attempting to complete the test. Good luck!
1. Which side offered to halt taxes if you were to join their side in the Revolutionary War? ___________________________
2. True or False. The Battle of Cowpens currently has two commissioned ships named in its honor on active duty.
3. Where was British soldier William Lawrence when the Battle of Cowpens began? _______________________________
4. How many rifle and musket balls are in the Patriot Army exhibit? ____________________________________________
5. True or False. The "wormer" is used to remove worms from the cannon after overnight travel.
6. Complete the following sentences: The Continentals, ______________ _____________________, in this battle were mainly from ______________________ and _______________________. The regimental facings of the Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, and Virginia troops were _________________________.
7. Describe three of the five important events shown in the large painting, The Battle of Cowpens, by Charles McBarron.
8. What color coats and breeches did the dragoons in Tarleton’s Legion wear on the day of the Battle of Cowpens?
9. Name two pieces in the British Army exhibit that were used by a doctor. ______________________ _______________________
10. In the museum, there is a three-pound cannon ball that is believed to have been fired at the Battle of Cowpens. Write down the name of the person who loaned it to the park. ___________________ ____________________
11. True or False. There are toys in the drawers under the battlefield mural that you can play with.
12. Listen to the wand in the lobby that is next to the picture of a woman carrying a basket. What is the Loyalist narrator's last statement?
13. What was the purpose of the militia, and who could sign up as a member?
14. What invaluable role did women play in the Revolutionary War?
Battlefield Trail Section
1. What were the standard issue weapons for the cavalry or dragoons at the Battle of Cowpens? ___________________ and ____________________
2. Along with 700 British prisoners, what were some of the other "spoils" or "trophies" of war that General Morgan's army captured from the British?
3. True or False. The British broke ranks and rushed forward because the Continentals were out of ammunition.
4. How did the sharpshooters contribute to the victory at Cowpens?
5. List three tactical advantages General Morgan exploited at the Battle of Cowpens.
6. What was Nathanael Greene's objective to General Morgan in his 1780 orders?
7. Who was in command of the Continental Army at Cowpens?
8. True or False. The British Legion was made up of British citizens who came to America in support of the king.
9. When was the Washington Light Infantry Monument erected?
10. Who won the "Race for the Grasshopper"?
11. Who saved Lieutenant Colonel William Washington from death during the sword fight on the Green River Road?
12. What happened to the militiamen after General Morgan’s army moved into North Carolina on the way to the Dan River?
13. Name the states that the soldiers in Morgan's Flying Army came from.
14. What other military figure also executed a successful "double envelopment" besides General Morgan?
15. What time did the British arrive at the battlefield?
Extra Credit Question
How did Benson Lossing locate Cowpens battlefield in 1849?