Beginning Tuesday, April 21, 2020, Buck Island Reef National Monument will reopen its areas to anchoring, mooring, and use of beaches and trails. These areas were temporarily closed on March 23, in order to protect the health of the public visiting the park.
Buck Island Reef National Monument
The NPS encourages people who choose to visit Buck Island Reef National Monument during this pandemic to continue to adhere to guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Territorial and local public health authorities to protect visitors and employees. As services are limited, the NPS urges visitors to continue to practice Leave No Trace principles, including pack-in and pack-out, to keep outdoor spaces safe and healthy. Please maintain social distancing of at least six (6) feet while on beaches and trail and on boats. If you are sick, or have symptoms of COVID-19, please stay home.
- Buck Island Reef National Monument waters will remain open to boating activities in open waters. Boat operations are limited to a 10-person maximum per boat, including captain and crew, until further notice.
- The NPS strongly urges all public boat operators to observe CDC recommendations and to maintain social distancing when boating.
- Anchoring and mooring permits are being accepted
- Special use and business permits are not being issued
- Comfort stations are open for use
- Parties and large gatherings are prohibited
- All guided hikes and public and educational programs remain cancelled
- Trash is not being collected. Bring garbage bags so you can take your trash with you. Pack it in, pack it out! Do not leave trash on shore.
- Maintain social distancing of at least 6 feet
- Maintain distance between vessels. Vessels should not be tied or "rafted" together.
Current Closures and Advisements Remain in Effect Until Further Notice
Christiansted National Historic Site
Salt River Bay National Historical Park & Ecological Preserve
- All park events and permits remain cancelled until further notice.
- Fort Christiansvaern, parking lot and visitor restrooms remain closed to the public until further notice.
- Eastern National Bookstore at Scale House remain closed until further notice.
- Park administration buildings remain closed to the public; please call park staff at the number provided for assistance with activities or questions related to park operations. You may also reach out to us through our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/ChristianstedNPS
We thank everyone for their understanding and patience and cooperation during this period of uncertainty. If you have any questions please contact Supervisory Park Ranger Gabriel Laurencin, 340-277-6863 or Park Superintendent Gregory Camacho, 340-773-1460 ext 222, www.nps.gov/chri for additional information and updates.
- SARI Visitor Contact station remains closed from damage caused by hurricane Irma/Maria.