Stop 3 – Flory House
Neither Hail, Nor Sleet, Nor Snow….
Twenty-first century technology gives the capability for instantaneous communication. Waiting a day to hear about the birth of a grandchild or world news is obsolete. During canal operations, the telephone was the fastest way to communicate but most people sent letters. The Four Locks Post Office was a vital link to the outside world for its residents who anxiously waited up to a week for a letter to arrive. It operated here from 1878-1903. Of its eight postmasters, Mrs. Mary Flory was the only woman and served the longest term, eight years from 1885-1903.
Continue upstream to Lock 49