Permits & Reservations

Special Use Permits

A Special Use Permit (SUP) is required for all activities for which regulations at 36CFR Parts 1-7 and Part 14 specify that a permit is required. SUPs are required for weddings, public assemblies, special events, First Amendment rallies, filming, telecommunications, and right-of-way permits for utilities and roads, as well as for other non-visitor activities occurring on park land.

A special park use is defined as a short-term activity that takes place in a park area, and that:

  • provides a benefit to an individual, group or organization rather than the public at large;
  • requires written authorization and some degree of management control from the National Park Service (NPS) in order to protect park resources and the public interest;
  • is not prohibited by law or regulation;
  • is not initiated, sponsored, or conducted by the NPS; and is not managed under a concession contract, a recreation activity for which the NPS charges a fee, or a lease.

SUP applications should be submitted well in advance. To contact us with questions regarding permits of any kind, please use this e-mail form.


Please select the links below for information about having your wedding ceremony on the Castillo grounds. The forms are in Micorsoft Word format. If you need them in another format, please use the e-mail form link above.

Click here for information about weddings at Fort Matanzas..


Still Photography

When is a permit needed?

Price v. Barr had no impact on how the National Park Service regulates still photography, so there are no changes in how the National Park Service regulates that activity. Still photographers require a permit only when:

  1. the activity takes place at location(s) where or when members of the public are generally not allowed; or
  2. the activity uses model(s), sets(s), or prop(s) that are not a part of the location's natural or cultural resources or administrative facilities; or
  3. a park would incur additional administrative costs to monitor the activity.

How do I apply for a permit?

Permit applications are available through each park's administrative office or website. Contact information for parks can be found on their websites; visit Find a Park to locate the park where you would like to photograph. You should submit a completed application along with the application fee to the park where you want to film or photograph as far in advance of your planned date as possible. In addition, you should request a meeting with park staff if your proposed activity is unusual or complex. Early consultation with park staff will help them process the submitted application in a timely manner.

What fees will I have to pay?

The National Park Service will collect a cost recovery charge and a location fee for still photography permits. Cost recovery includes an application fee and any additional charges to cover the costs incurred by the National Park Service in processing your request and monitoring your permit. This amount will vary depending on the park and the size and complexity of your permit. The application fee must be submitted with your application.

In addition, the National Park Service has been directed by Congress to collect a fee to provide a fair return to the United States for the use of park lands. The National Park Service uses the following still photography fee schedule:

  • 1–10 people - $50/day
  • 11–30 people - $150/day
  • Over 30 people - $250/day

Are there other permit requirements?

You may be required to obtain liability insurance naming the United States as additionally insured in an amount commensurate with the risk posed to park resources by your proposed activity. You may also be asked to post a bond to ensure the payment of all charges and fees and the restoration of the area if necessary.


Special Events

All other activities would be requested under this category. Please include detailed information in the application about the proposed event to help speed the processing of your request. The forms are in Micorsoft Word format. If you need them in another format, please use the e-mail form link above.

Visit this page for information on Commercial Use Authorizations required to conduct business on Castillo property.



Reservations are not required to visit the Castillo de San Marcos unless you are bringing a school group. For more information, visit our Field Trips page.

Last updated: November 22, 2022

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

1 South Castillo Drive
Saint Augustine, FL 32084


904 829-6506

Contact Us