Carl Sandburg Home NHS is open 7 days a week, year round. Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Days.
- - The Sandburg furnishings inside the home have been moved to storage for preservation work over the next two years. Special exhibits will help visitors to see the rooms as they were once furnished, but at the same time feel like they are going "behind the scenes" in the unfurnished rooms. Guided tours of the home are still available and provide a great way to learn more about the Sandburg family and their contributions to American history.
- The average visitor spends two hours at "Connemara."
- Please be prepared for your comfort - wear comfortable clothing and walking shoes.
- There is a limited selection of snack foods and bottled water to purchase from the bookstore. Water is available at fountains (bring your own bottle). Please recycle any purchased water bottles.
Facilities: Including Sandburg Home and Goat Barn
Open daily from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. year-round, closed Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Days.
Admission: Free for grounds, trails and barn; no park entrance fee.
Guided House Tour Fee: (cash or check only)
$5.00 for Adults age 16-61
$3.00 for seniors 62 and older
Children 15 and under admitted free.
- Please note there is no entrance fee to visit Carl Sandburg Home National Historic Site. America the Beautiful passes and the Annual or Senior passes do not apply to waive the fees for guided house tours.
- 30-minute house tours are offered every day, first come-first servedat 9:30am,10:30, 11:30, 12:30, 1:30, 2:30, 3:30, the last tour begins at 4:30pm.
- During busy visitation additional tour times may be added.
- Visitors may only tour the Sandburg Home on a guided tour.
- Tours are limited to 15 persons.
- Click here if you are visiting with a group
Parking: Free parking is available at the entrance to the park. On busy days the lot fills quickly. Visitors may use the Flat Rock Playhouse lot directly across the street in the morning until noon and in the afternoon when there are no performances. There will be signs posted at the playhouse to restrict parking for performances. Please be a courteous neighbor and pay attention to their signs. The park has three oversize vehicle parking spaces for RV's and buses. Vehicles with trailers will be unable to park in these spaces and should use the playhouse lot subject to availability.
Open sunrise to sunset for walking and hiking. 264 acres with 5 miles of trails. Click here for a trail map.
Open 9am - 5pm. Operated by Eastern National, the park's bookstore is located in the ground level of the Sandburg Home and offers a broad selection of Sandburg's works, goat milk fudge and cheese, bottled water and other merchandise.
Available 9am - 5pm. The Video Room is located in the ground level of the Sandburg Home. Each film is 12 minutes or less. Enjoy an overview of the park with My Connemara or get a glimpse of Sandburg himself through an engaging interview with Edward R. Murrow from 1954.
Connemara Farms Goat Dairy
Open 9am - 5pm. The park raises goats that are descendents of the three breeds of goats Mrs. Sandburg raised at Connemara. Rangers and volunteers are on hand to share this facinating story about goats and Mrs. Sandburg's dairy goat operation.