November 24 (Saturday)
Christmas at Connemara
From 11:00 am to 3:00 pm
Musicians and storytellers, crafts and sing-a-longs, hot cider and cookies. This free festive celebration will honor Carl Sandburg and his family holiday traditions. Young visitors will find many opportunities for participation in storytelling, sing-a-longs and crafts. The house will be decorated in the simple style of the Sandburgs with poinsettias and a traditionally decorated Christmas tree throughout December until January 6th, 2017.
- 11am - Geriatric Jukebox Band
- 12pm - Blackfeather, Cherokee Storytelling
- 1pm - Sunlight Drive Band, Americana music on acoustic guitars
- 2pm - Lucy Allen and Marshall Goers, holiday music on guitar, banjo and mandolin
- 12pm to 2pm - Steve and Jean Smith, hammered dulcimer in the bookstore
January 6 (Sunday)
Perspectives: The Sandburg Story Slam
2:00 - 4:00 pm
at Blue Ridge Community College Bo Thomas Auditorium
Carl Sandburg Home NHS seeks storytellers for “Perspectives: The Sandburg Story Slam,” the park’s first community storytelling event. The storytelling theme is “dream.” Storytellers can learn more and apply here. The live event will take place on Carl Sandburg’s birthday, January 6, 2019. The public is welcome to come enjoy the storytelling event!
Fee Free Days 2019
Free entrance days to all national parks and free tours of the Sandburg Home in 2019.
- Monday, January 21 – Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- Saturday, April 20 – First Day of National Park Week/National Junior Ranger Day
- Sunday, August 25 – National Park Service Anniversary
- Saturday, September 28 – National Public Lands Day
- Monday, November 11 – Veterans Day