National Park Fee Free Days
Free entrance days to all national parks and free tours of the Sandburg Home.
- Monday, November 11 – Veterans Day
- January 20, 2020 – Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- April 18, 2020 – First Day of National Park Week
- August 25, 2020 – National Park Service Birthday
- September 26, 2020 – National Public Lands Day
- November 11, 2020 – Veterans Day
Sandburg Home Free Tour Days
Visitors can enjoy free tours of the Sandburg Home on the following days:
- December 28, 2019 (Saturday after Christmas)
- January 6, 2020 (Carl Sandburg's Birthday)
- April 11, 2020 (first Saturday of local school spring break)
- June 13, 2020 (Sandburgs' wedding anniversary)
- October 17, 2020 (Park Anniversary)
- December 26, 2020 (Saturday after Christmas)
Until October 31
Extended Through January 6, 2020 for the Holidays!
“Dressing for the Occasion: Mid-Century Sandburg as Celebrity and Family Man”
*Included with the house tour
The exhibit is part of the Sandburg Home tour and features clothing and accessories from both the park’s permanent collection and loaned items from the Sandburg family. “Dressing for the Occasion” offers visitors a window into the style, culture, and feel of mid-century America. The family’s clothing and accessories weave together the roles of Carl Sandburg as a prominent writer, celebrity, father, and husband. This temporary exhibit offers an exciting opportunity for the public to view objects that are normally in storage or in the possession of Sandburg family members. Tours of the Sandburg Home are offered daily from 9:30 am to 4:30 pm. Tickets are available first come, first served, each day from the visitor information area in the ground level of the Sandburg Home. Learn more about the exhibit here.
November 30 (Saturday) from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Christmas at Connemara
Musicians and storytellers, crafts and sing-a-longs, hot cider and cookies. This free festive celebration will honor Carl Sandburg and his family holiday traditions. Young visitors will find many opportunities for participation in storytelling, sing-a-longs and crafts. The house will be decorated in the simple style of the Sandburgs with poinsettias and a traditionally decorated Christmas tree throughout December until January 6th, 2020.