Essentials of Safe Hunting
Careful adherence to the following essentials of safe hunting will prevent accidents and make your visit to Cape Cod National Seashore safe for you and everyone around you:
- Know your gun.
- Be sure the gun and ammunition are in good condition.
- Sight in the gun before hunting with it.
- Handle your gun properly.
- Treat every gun as if it were loaded.
- Always point the muzzle in a safe direction.
- Be sure of your target before you fire the weapon.
- Keep your finger off the trigger until ready to fire.
- Open the action and unload any gun which is not in use.
- Store hunting guns in a safe place.
- Fulfill your responsibilities as a safe hunter.
- Follow the rules of safe hunting.
- Learn to identify game.
- Know and observe the game laws.
- Be courteous.
- Conduct yourself so as to promote friendly relations among hunters, landowners, and other park visitors.
- Insist that your companions observe these same rules.
All hunting accidents must be reported to state or local police and to the National Park Service, which may be contacted by calling National Park Service Law Enforcement at (617) 242-5659, or through local police.