Effective Thursday, August 12, 2021, Buck Island Reef National Monument is implementing an immediate temporary public use limitation. Buck Island Reef NM will be closed by 4:00 p.m. daily to all boaters. This temporary closure is implemented under section 36 CFR 1.5 (a) and based upon a determination that such action is necessary for public health and safety.
Consistent with guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) regarding areas of substantial or high transmission, visitors to our St. Croix parks - Christiansted National Historic Site, Buck Island Reef National Monument, and Salt River Bay National Historical Park and Ecological Preserve - regardless of vaccination status, are required to wear a mask inside all park buildings. Because there is currently a high level of COVID transmission in the Virgin Islands, masks must be worn by all National Park Service employees, visitors, on-site contractors, concessionaire staff, commercial use authorization holders, and other partners using or occupying federal facilities, regardless of vaccination status.
We will continue to assess the situation daily, and we encourage people who choose to visit St. Croix and our parks during this pandemic to continue to adhere to guidance from the CDC. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html. #RecreateResponsibly.
The public is allowed to anchor by approved permit issued from the Superintendent under the authority provided in 36 CFR §1.5 and as per 36 CFR §7.73 Special Regulations.
Please note these additional rules:
- Anchoring and mooring permits are being accepted
- Special use and business permits are not being issued
- Comfort stations are open for use
- Parties and large gatherings are prohibited
- All guided hikes and public and educational programs remain cancelled
- Trash is not being collected. Bring garbage bags so you can take your trash with you. Pack it in, pack it out! Do not leave trash on shore.
- Maintain social distancing of at least 6 feet
- Maintain distance between vessels. Vessels should not be tied or "rafted" together.
More information in regards to anchoring being prohibited, with the exception for emergency or authorized administrative purposes or if a valid park permit is issued, can be found in Presidential Proclamations 3443, 4346, and 7392. We thank everyone for their understanding and patience during these repairs, and we appreciate your cooperation
Other Current Closures and Advisements Remain in Effect Until Further Notice
Christiansted National Historic Site
Salt River Bay National Historical Park & Ecological Preserve
- All park events and permits remain cancelled until further notice.Fort Christiansvaern, parking lot and visitor restrooms remain closed to the public until further notice.
- Eastern National Bookstore at Scale House remain closed until further notice.
- Park administration buildings remain closed to the public; please call park staff at the number provided for assistance with activities or questions related to park operations.
- You may also reach out to us through our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/ChristianstedNPS
- SARI Visitor Contact station remains closed from damage caused by hurricane Irma/Maria.
Please visit www.nps.gov/chri
for additional information and updates.