Encounters With Wildlife
It is unlikely that you will see a black bear and even less likely a mountain lion. But it's a good idea to know how you should behave if you do:
• Give bears or lions a way to escape. Most animals will try to avoid confrontation.
• Give bears or lions with young extra space.
• If you have a child with you, either pick them up or hold onto them.
• Make eye contact with a lion, but don't with a bear.
• Stay calm and speak firmly to the animal.
• If the bear or lion doesn't run away, back away slowly and leave the area. Don't turn your back or run.
Supervise children closely. Weathered rock makes rim edges hazardous, and many places have no guardrails. Keep dogs on leash.