Commercial Use Authorization FAQ

What is a Commercial Use Authorization and Why Would I Need One?

For what length of time is a CUA issued?

CUAs are issued for a maximum one-year period. The operating year is from the date the permit is issued through December 31.

What are the fees for a CUA?

A $50 application fee for each service category is due with the application. This fee is non-refundable. Pay online or mail in payment.

Why does the park charge a fee for a CUA?

National Park Service policy requires the superintendent to charge a reasonable fee for CUAs. The park retains such fees to help pay for the cost of the CUA program, including administration, evaluations, monitoring, and training.

How long does it take to obtain a CUA?

You should anticipate that you will receive the issuance of a CUA a minimum of 30 business days from the time the park receives your CUA application. Delays will occur if application materials are not submitted accurately or completely, or if authorizations needing operator signature are not returned promptly.

When can I Apply for a Commercial Use Authorization?
A commercial operation that plans to conduct business inside the park throughout the year must submit their application between January 1 and March 31, annually. Applications received outside this time period will not be considered.

Applications for one-time business operations or special event vendors will be accepted year-round.

How do I submit an application?

1. Download the Commercial Use Authorization Application
2. Review all of the application packet checklist items
3. Once you have all of the required documentation, you can submit either electronically or by mail:

Scan and email your application package to the Commercial Services Coordinator.

Or mail your application package and check to:
Big South Fork National River & Recreation Area
4564 Leatherwood Road
Oneida, TN 37841
Attention: Commercial Services Coordinator

What happens once I submit an application?

  1. Once we have reviewed your application packets you will be notified if additional information is needed. Once the park receives all required documents, you will be sent a CUA authorization form for your signature.
  2. You will then need to sign and return the CUA authorization form for final approval.
  3. You are not authorized to begin providing commercial services in the park until your receive the CUA that has been signed by the superintendent, or delegated official.

Last updated: September 10, 2018

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

4564 Leatherwood Road
Oneida, TN 37841


(423) 569-9778

Contact Us